As you might know, we recently surveyed our parents and students to try to find out what hours work best for most of our students and families. This didn’t come out of nowhere. At enrollment this year, we had many parents disappointed that when they found the AM Shift was already full. With that and the noticeable drop in attendance after 4 p.m. that we experienced last year, we thought it was important to find out what our families really want and need.
52% of our students attend the AM (7:30-12:30) 48% the PM (1:00-6:00)
- We currently have it set up this way because we have more staff here in the AM hours. For example: at 9:00 am, there are 4 staff members here, but if you are here again at 5:30, there are only 1-2 staff for nearly the same number of students. We know our students do better when they have access to a lot of help and support. Maybe they are attending poorly in part because of this.
32% of our students said they sometimes stay longer than their 5 hour shift
- That’s one-third of our student body (which is awesome). Our students stay when they want to work extra, when they are striving for a certain goal, and when their parents aren’t home and this is the safest/best place for them to be. We are determined to keep this option available in the best interest of our students.
15% of the PM session students are on a waiting list for the AM session
- And herein is one of the primary problems. We pride ourselves on being flexible and accessible and we want to accommodate your needs.
50% of the PM students said the schedule sometimes causes family difficulty
- This is a real problem for us too then! We want our students to be free of family difficulties and stressors that would keep them from attending school full time.
92% of the PM students said they have had to leave school early
- 85% sited transportation as the primary reason for leaving early. 100% of the parents of PM students said the schedule sometimes causes their family difficulty.
100% of the parents of PM students said they have had to have their student leave early
- 40% sited transportation as the primary reason for having their child leave early, 10% sited child care as the primary reason for having their child leave early, and 10% sited family business as the primary reason for having their child leave early.
We know that we have a great school and are one of the best alternative education programs in the state of Michigan. All schools are rated by the State of Michigan on certain points including student attendance. We can’t let these scheduling conflicts continue to cause the students, families, and our school negative consequences. We are working to make adjustments to our schedule that will help with this problem. Stay tuned for further developments and remember… sometimes you just have to adjust “on-the-fly.”