Schools of Choice

Schools of Choice collage Banner - Triangle pieces of paper, girl holding colored pencils and binders stacked together in a zig zag pattern

Non-Resident Students

Allegan Area Educational Service Agency (AAESA) Non-Resident & 105C

The Allegan Area Educational Service Agency (AAESA) Allegan Area Count Program (Non-Resident) is intended to provide academic options to enhance learning for students and to foster a cooperative environment to benefit all districts.

The eight school districts in Allegan County, with the support of the AAESA, are offering a Section 105(c) Schools of Choice Program for the 2022-2023 school year.  This program allows students of families who reside in Barry, Kalamazoo, Kent, Ottawa and Van Buren ISD/ESA school districts a choice to attend Allegan, Fennville, Glenn, Hopkins, Martin, Otsego, Plainwell or Wayland school districts. Non-Resident is being offered to all students who reside within Allegan County and wish to attend any of the listed Allegan County public schools.

Districts within Allegan County partner to allow open enrollment periods for residents within the AAESA district.

Each school district within the AAESA shall determine annually if it will accept non-resident students. The school districts shall publish the grades, schools and special programs, if any, for which enrollment may be available to non-resident applicants. If a school district has a limited number of positions available for non-resident applicants, the district shall:

  • Provide notice to the general public of the number of openings available, and the manner and the place for submitting applications.

  • Use a random draw “lottery” system conducted by the Allegan County Schools of Choice committee.

  • Develop and maintain a waiting list based on the order in which non-resident applicants were drawn under this lottery.  If positions become available after the lottery drawing, applicants shall be selected from this waiting list.

  • Contact and enroll all applicants no later than the end of the first week of school.

A school district may refuse enrollment to a non-resident Schools of Choice student that has been suspended within the past two (2) years, or has ever been expelled.

Non-resident applicants residing in the same household shall receive preference over other applicants.

Schools of Choice students must meet the same criteria as resident student to be accepted for enrollment in a grade or specialized program.

All first year Schools of Choice parent(s)/guardian(s) and students must meet with a building administrator or counselor prior to the start of school to schedule classes and review building procedures.

The receiving school district is not required to provide transportation to a non-resident student. However, Plainwell Community Schools will try to accommodate transportation needs. Parents may contact the school district’s transportation office, 269-685-8080, to locate the bus stop that is nearest to their home. In the event a special education student enrolls through Schools of Choice, the transportation will be determine by the student’s individualized education plan (IEP).

Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) rules and regulations apply to all students participating in interscholastic athletics. Under the MHSAA transfer rule, unless residency is established, high school students who transfer by choice from one school to another are not eligible to participate in interscholastic athletics for one full semester. It is the responsibility of the parent and/or school district to contact MHSAA for a ruling (517-332-5046).

Completed applications should be emailed to Anne McKinney at no later than Friday, September 2, 2022.

What is needed with Schools of Choice?

You will need the following documents to upload:

Birth Certificate (you will also be asked to show the birth certificate with the raised seal in person)

  1. Proof of Residency in the Plainwell Community Schools District (utility Bill, tax bill or current driver's license with district address.

  2. Immunization Record

  3. Court Orders or Placement Papers (if applicable)

  4. If you are outside of the PCS District you will need to fill out School of Choice forms, located above. 

Request For Educational Records